How Buschman Hot Cast Polyurethane Rod Holders Achieve Superior Performance
The purpose of the trial was to run Buschman HS-Hot Cast Polyurethane Rod Holders on a Rod Metering Size Press. The customer used Light Weight Coating (LWC) on to fine papers. The customer was having a problem with excessive coating buildup on the upper lip edge of the holder.
Buschman custom-engineered holder profile to rotate the axis of the cradle to pull the upper lip away from the backing roll. Success was achieved with surprising results.
KEY APPLICATION PARAMETERS:
- Magazine and other specialty grades of paper from LWC, which is mostly white clay
- Rod holder life is typically around 4 weeks
- Purchase holders from the OEM
- Holders used in both the top & bottom position
- Machine Speed 1310 Meters per minute
- Rod Load Pressure 20-35 PSI
- Rod speed is 75 RPM
- Backing roll hardness 45 P&J Polyurethane
- Percent of solids: 58-61%
- Dry Coat Weight 13-15 g/m2
- Basis Weight:30-50 g/m2
Buschman Hot Cast Polyurethane Rod Holders achieved good performance for 6 weeks (a 50% increase in holder life), plus the lip edge stayed clean in operation allowing the coating to run for 6 weeks, uninterrupted by streaking that was common previously.
How to Order
Our engineering team will work with you to customize long-lasting metering rods for your application. Call us or use our online form to request a quote.
Call us at +1 216 431 6633